Special Meeting of the Venice Neighborhood Council on Proposed Changes to the Operations of St. Joseph Center
The Venice Neighborhood Council Board will hold a special meeting on Monday, June 14, 2010 to review the VNC Land Use and Planning Committee’s recommendation to approve the request of the St. Joseph Center to modify Conditions Of Approval numbers 28 and 34, and deny the request of the St. Joseph Center to modify Conditions Of Approval numbers 11, 12, 21, and 29. These conditions were negotiated in 2003-2004 between the Center, its neighbors and the community.
The meeting will be held starting at 7:00PM in the Community Room of the Oakwood Recreation Center, 767 California Avenue, Venice, CA. 90291, at the corner of 7th and California. For the full staff report on LUPC’s recommended actions see: http://bit.ly/VNC_LUPC_St_Joseph_Staff_Report.
Conditions 28 and 34:
28. This condition requires the construction of a fence on an adjacent property, and that property owner has determined that a fence is unnecessary and has released the St. Joseph Center from this obligation. The St. Joseph Center requested the deletion of the requirement.
34. This condition specifies that the number of shared parking spaces on the “campus” that includes the St. Joseph Center, is 146. The St. Joseph Center requests that this number be changed to 132.
Conditions 11, 12, 21 29:
11. This condition limits the hours of operation and the capacity of each program, class, event, or meeting. The St. Joseph Center seeks to extend the hours for certain activities.
12. This condition sets forth limitations on the use and occupancy of the premises. The Center is requesting permission to sublet approximately 900 square feet of administrative office space to social service organizations that offer programs and services similar to those offered by St. Joseph Center. The sublet offices would be limited to administrative uses, and no clients of the social services organizations would be permitted on the premises.
21. This condition limits the types of programs allowed to be conducted on the premises (the Center would like to add new programs), requires that the programs be associated with a church on the premises (the Center would like to delete this requirement), and limits the consumption of the food prepared in the culinary training program to the students and staff on the premises (the Center wants to remove this restriction).
29. This condition requires that access to the roof of the Center be restricted to authorized staff personnel. The St. Joseph Center is requesting that this condition be clarified so that the roof deck above the lunch room “may be used as an outdoor lunch or break space for center staff and lessees and shall not be accessible to clients or other event guests.”
There is no charge for this event. It is open to the public and comments are encouraged. Contact Marc Saltzberg at [email protected] with questions.
What: Special Board Meeting of the Venice Neighborhood Council
Where: Oakwood Recreation Center Community Room, 767 California Avenue (at 7th and California)
When: Monday, June 14, 2010
Time: 7:00 PM until 9:00 PM