Turnout was low (~13% of registered voters in LA county, 18.3% statewide) in this first full-blown test of California’s new “top two” primary election system (meaning the top two candidates in a given race, regardless of political party affiliation, will run against each other in the general election in November). Although we may not know the final results for some time, here are some highlights for Venice:
- Elan Carr (R) will face Ted Lieu (D), (who adjourned the state senate last month in memory of Yo’s Bret Haller) for the Congressional District 33 seat.
- Autumn Burke (D) will face Ted Grose (R) for State Assembly District 62.
- Ben Allen (D) v Sandra Fluke (D) for the State Senator District 26 seat that Ted Lieu is vacating.
- Sheila Kuehl (Ind) v Bobby Shriver (Ind) for County Supervisor District 3.
- Proposition 41, Veterans Housing and Homeless Prevention Bond Act of 2014, passed with strong support: 1,977,057 / 65.4% Yes | 1,045,684 / 34.6% No
- Proposition 42 Public Records. Open Meetings. State Reimbursement to Local Agencies, also passed with strong support: 1,793,566 / 61.5% Yes | 1,122,139 / 38.5% No