The Venice Neighborhood Council will meet on Tuesday, June 19th, starting at 7pm. The meeting will be called to order in memory Maxi Saro (father of VNC Neighborhood Committee member Colleen Saro), Dora Benderson (Mother of Bob Benderson, a longtime Venice resident), author Ray Bradbury and Oscar Duncan (Boys and Girls Club employee, Youth Pastor and Venice High School graduate).
There are a lot of interesting items that will be discussed and voted on. Click here to see the full agenda. Highlights include:
1. Presentation of Certificate of Appreciation to Robin Rudisill, member of the Neighborhood & Public Safety Committees for her work on Washington Blvd. Beach Parking Lot; to Whole Foods for providing food for VNC meetings providing a hot breakfast each Sunday on Venice Beach and for organizing a Neighborhood clean-up.
2. Presentation — Urgent Update and Call to Action for Community Anti Gang Intervention on the murder of Oscar Duncan , Venice Boys and Girls Leader murdered last week (7:25 — 10 minutes) Stan Muhammad, Venice 2000, former VNC Board member
3. 7. Presentation by Los Angeles City Attorney Carmen Trutanich (7:50pm — 60 minutes) Remarks by the City Attorney on issues of concerns to the Venice community.
4. Election to fill Board Community Officer Seat. Candidates: Benjamin Ballentine, Rita Hart Cooney, Mark Rojas, Tom Sauer. Also an Election to fill Open Seat on VNC Land Use and Planning Committee Seat Candidates: Mia Herren, Michael Jensen, Mehrnoosh Mojallali, Maury Ruano
5. Motion of support: That the Venice Neighborhood Council shall send a letter to the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD), requesting that the SCAQMD impose an “Indirect Source Review Rule” on the Santa Monica Airport.
6. Motion of support: The VNC Board supports an appeal to deny the installation of a cell tower on top of the Best Western Hotel at 737 Washington
7. Responsibility for Milwood Walk Streets Walk-Path Maintenance.
8. Neighborhood Council Response to Councilman Parks’ Motion on Neighborhood Council Outreach Plans.
9. Motion to Petition Elected Leaders to Take Action to Retain Historic Venice Main Post Office and Those in Other Communities Across the Nation.
10. Removal of Landscaping in lots 701 & 703 – LAPD has stated they have received several compliant calls from the neighbors about people sleeping overnight in these lots. They have also said these people are storing private property in and behind the bushes. Officer Thusing stated it is difficult for LAPD to patrol these lots because the vegetation is to tall and dense for the officers to get a clear view of the lot.
11. Presentations by PATH (People Assisting the Homeless), Public Safety – LAPD Report, Governmental Reports
12. Approval Of 2012-2013 VNC Budget
13. Community Care Facilities Ordinance (9:50 — 30 minutes) Karen Wolfe. MOTION : The Venice Neighborhood Council Opposes the proposed Community Care Ordinance (CF#11-0262.) and strongly urges the City Council to deny enacting an ordinance that is poor public policy with severe unintended consequences.
14. Approval Of Election Procedures
VNC Board Meeting – 7pm- 9:30pm 6/19/12
Westminster Elementary School Auditorium
1010 Abbot Kinney Boulevard