In town, it is always easier to ride a bicycle or walk, but if you have to leave Venice, here are some tips from the LA Times:
• Slow down: Most vehicles get the best fuel efficiency between 45 and 55 miles per hour. Driving more than 60 mph can cut fuel efficiency 7% to 23%
• Replace the spark plugs: Misfiring spark plugs can reduce fuel efficiency by as much as 30%.
• Use lower grade fuel: Regular unleaded fuel won’t hurt most vehicles even if premium unleaded fuel is required. Unless your engine starts to knock or ping when using a lower-grade fuel, stick to regular.
• Reduce idling: Turn off your engine if you’re waiting for more than 20 seconds. Idling wastes more gas than turning off your engine and restarting it.
• Drive smoother: Be gentle with your gas pedal and your brakes. There’s no reason to speed up to a red light just to slam on the brakes. Aggressive driving will lower your gas mileage.
Read more tips at the LATimes by clicking here!