You aren’t prepared for the Super Bowl until you have a designated driver.
Responsible hosts know that part of showing guests a great time is making sure they get home safely. In 2009, 65 people were killed in drunk driving related crashes on Super Bowl Sunday and the morning after, the second highest number of traffic fatalities behind New Year’s Day.
Here are a few tips and reminders for you to consider when finalizing your plans this year:
At the party:
* Respect 21 – never serve alcohol to someone under the legal drinking age and don’t ask a minor to serve you alcohol.
* Determine ahead of time when you’ll stop serving alcohol, such as one hour before the end of the party or at the end of the third quarter of the game (just like in NFL stadiums) and begin serving coffee and dessert.
* Serve plenty of food throughout the day.
* Offer a variety of non-alcoholic choices like soft drinks, juice, and water.
* Serve one drink at a time and serve measured drinks.
* Find ways to recognize designated drivers at your party as special guests:
Give them a great spot to watch the game; make sure their glass is always full of whatever non-alcoholic drink they’re having; let them have first pass at the buffet table; make sure their cars are easy to access when it is time to start driving people home.
* Be ready to step in and stop serving someone who has had too much.
* Be prepared for guests to spend the night if an alternative way home is not available.
If you’re traveling to a local bar, restaurant or other public venue:
* Find ways to recognize designated drivers when you are out at a bar or restaurant:
Offer to be the designated driver the next time you go out; cover the cost for parking or even paying for a tank of gas; pick up the tab for their food and drink. Say thank you.
* Add the numbers for local cab companies to your cell phone.
Choose your ride home. Please don’t drink and drive!
Partner to prevent or report crime by contacting your local Sheriff’s station. Or if you wish to remain Anonymous, call “LA Crime Stoppers” by dialing 800-222-TIPS (8477), texting the letters TIPLA plus your tip to CRIMES (274637), or using the website http://lacrimestoppers.org