Indie on the Westside will present KRS ONE at the AC Supper Club this Thursday, May 20th. Other acts on the bill include Luminaries, Simple Citizens, Chi King, Emerson Kennedy and DJ Boriginal. Click here for pre-sale tickets at $15 with a $3 charge. (Or just go over to AC and avoid that $3 charge BS)
Earlier in the day, KRS-One will launch Hip Hop Appreciation Week with a “Gospel of Hip Hop” lecture and book signing from 5pm-7pm at The Air-Conditioned Supper Club.
During Hip Hop Appreciation Week, serious Hiphoppas are advised to:
• Give the next person the right of way. Allow others to pass you.
• Donate your skill to someone who cannot afford it.
• Give the loose change of your purchases to the person behind you in line.
• Be quick to compliment and slow to criticize. Perform forgiveness.
• Give 10% of your salary to your child’s teacher, to your teacher, or to a teacher.
• Offer assistance to a neighbor; clean their kitchen, bathroom, etc, baby-sit, tutor, etc.
• Study and teach the culture, arts, history and philosophies of Hip Hop.
• Talk to young people about the images and performances of today’s mainstream rappers and DJs.
• Acknowledge and celebrate the person or place that introduced you to Hip Hop.
“Hip Hop Appreciation Week is an opportunity to be a supporter of Hip Hop’s culture, not just an exploiter of Hip Hop’s culture”, explained KRS One; ordained as Hip Hop’s Master Teacha by Zulu Nation.
“The true preservation of Hip Hop is the preservation of its people, not just its products and artifacts. This is why Hip Hop Appreciation Week is so important to Hip Hop’s further development; it is because Hip Hop Appreciation Week is an event that gives average everyday Hiphoppas an opportunity to make some money, teach some young people, and enjoy some real Hip Hop; basically preserving themselves”.
Every third week in May is Hip Hop Appreciation Week. “Hiphoppas” have observed this week as a time set aside to acknowledge and appreciate the existence of Hip Hop. First announced by the Temple of Hip Hop in 1998, Hip Hop Appreciation Week unites the Hip Hop community around its principles of peace, love, unity and safely having fun. Despite the irresponsible handling of Hip Hop in mass media, Hip Hop Appreciation Week acknowledges the original intent of Hip Hop and urges those who work in any area of media to upgrade their presentation of productive Rap music, movies and writings to the public.
For more information email email@example.com, and please note in the subject “HHAW”. There it is.
Air Conditioned Supper Club
625 Lincoln Blvd
Venice, CA 90291