Have you ever been curious about the difference between THC and CBD? Differentiating between the two can be confusing at first. THC and CBD are the two most common cannabinoids in marijuana and CBD is non-psychoactive while THC causes mind-altering effects. Both of these substances are effective when treating different health problems but their differences make them both suited for different purposes. THC is mainly used for recreational purposes while CBD is synonymous with its use in medical marijuana because of the many medical benefits that it offers with no side effects. For more details on the difference between THC and CBD, keep reading.
What is THC?
The cannabis plant contains two main active ingredients and one of them is THC. THC is the active ingredient that is responsible for the mind-altering effects users experience when consuming and there are multiple strains of THC that all induce different effects. For example, Indica is a THC strain that can be felt in the body when consumed. This strain gives the consumer a high that relaxes the body and is great for night-time use because it induces restful sleep and overall relaxation and calm. Sativa on the other hand is another popular THC strain and the effects can be felt in the mind of the consumer. This strain gives the user more energy and induces feelings of motivation and creativity while making it ideal for daytime use. People commonly consume THC for recreational use however it can also be used to relieve pain, induce appetite and promote restful sleep.
How is it consumed?
THC can be consumed in multiple ways and they include:
- Inhalation: Inhalation methods include the popular joint or the more recently popular dry herb vaporizer. Many people opt for this consumption method even though inhalation through joints is the unhealthiest form of consumption.
- Edibles: Edibles are another popular consumption method and involve any food or drink product containing marijuana. This can include gummies, cookies, tea, and even alcoholic beverages.
- Bongs: Bongs have been a popular choice among smokers for more than 2400 years. They are water filtration devices used to smoke dry cannabis flowers, and high-quality glass bongs like DankStops’ bongs found here, provide a highly enjoyable smoking experience. The water in the bong works to purify the smoke for a smoother hit however this method still has health risks of the smoke and combustion.
- Dab rig: This is another water filtration device similar to a bong however it uses wax and other concentrates instead of dry herbs. Dab rigs also produce vapor instead of smoke which makes it a lot healthier and the high produced is a lot more potent with more flavor.
These are the most common methods of consumption and many people gravitate towards smoking joints because it is convenient and because the effects can be felt very quickly. If you want a longer high, opt for edibles because they deliver a high that can last upward of 12 hours and the effects are extremely potent. The reason edibles produce such a long-lasting and intense high is because when consumed, it gets processed into your body via your digestive system and liver. Health-wise, edibles are the healthiest because there is no smoke and combustion involved.
What is CBD?
CBD is the second main active ingredient in the marijuana plant and is most famous for its medical health benefits. CBD does not cause any psychoactive effects however if you suffer from things such as pain, inflammation, insomnia, anxiety, PTSD, and a list of other conditions, CBD is an effective form of healing.
How is it consumed?
The most common ways to consume CBD include:
- Dry herb vaporizer: This inhalation device is popular amongst medical marijuana patients and involves vapor instead of smoke which makes it healthier. Controlled temperature also means more potency and flavor.
- Tinctures: Tinctures are dry herbs that are dissolved in alcohol to form a concentrate. This method is also widely used in the medical marijuana world.
- Topicals: These are creams, balms, and lotions that contain marijuana. They produce no high and are great for targeted pain relief.
Tinctures and herb vaporizers are the most recommended method of consumption.
Which should you use?
If you want to experience mind-altering effects, consume THC and if you want to treat certain medical conditions, CBD is the way to go. THC is more popular amongst the younger generation, while older individuals use CBD for medical reasons.