The Venice Neighborhood Council Board will meet this evening from 6:30- 10:30 pm in the Westminster School Auditorium at 1010 Abbot Kinney Boulevard.
Highlights to be discussed include:
• Joe’s looking to do a full bar until 2 am at 1023 Abbott Kinney Blvd.
• A rumored Gjelina project at 320 Sunset, including a bakery and retail space.
• A parking lot improvement at the 1600 Block of Irving Tabor Court.
• A new conditional use permit (CUP) to allow on-site beer and wine sales and consumption in conjunction with an existing 2,570 square foot restaurant use at 245 Main Street (previously Baja Fresh).
• Motion Regarding Alcohol Dispensing Outlets in Venice:
Whereas, Venice has 32 alcohol outlets per 10,000 residents while Los Angeles City Council District 11 has only 21.5 alcohol outlets per 10,000 residents, and
Whereas, Venice is experiencing continued growth in establishing new alcohol related businesses, while there do not appear to be adequate local policies regarding findings of public convenience or necessity for such businesses, and
Whereas, it is recognized that alcohol dispensing establishments can create significant quality of life and safety problems in neighborhoods, and
Whereas, enforcement of city and state alcohol laws and conditions of use falls on a number of government agencies including the Los Angeles Police Department, the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety, the Los Angeles Department of Planning and the State of California Alcohol Beverage Control Board, leading to uneven, inefficient environment without a single point of responsibility;
Therefore, be it resolved, the Venice Neighborhood Council calls on the City Council Member for CD11 to introduce a measure in the Los Angeles City Council that would create an alcohol establishment enforcement / compliance unit, fully funded by a regulatory fee on establishments selling alcohol.
This resolution shall be sent to:
LA City Council Member Mike Bonin
CD11 Planning Director Tricia Keane
CD11 Sr. Planner Noel Hyun Fleming
CD11 District Director Debbie Dyner Harris
CD11 Venice Field Deputy Cecilia Castillo
LA Planning Director Michael LoGrande
LA Planning Condition Compliance Engineer Rocky Wiles
Western Regional Alliance of Councils President Mike Newhouse
The Venice Neighborhood Council Board Meeting 9/17/13
1010 Abbot Kinney Boulevard