The LA Times has released their annual survey conducted by Film L.A. listing the top filming locations in Los Angeles. For 2012, Venice was ranked #7, with 130 production days.
1. Griffith Park: 409 production days
2. Point Dume State Beach (Malibu): 163 production days
3. Dockweiler State Beach in Playa del Rey: 159 production days
4. Linda Vista Community Hospital: 156 production days
5. The 6th Street Bridge downtown: 157 production days
Curtis Vayden cited for interfering with the “Cougar Town” production on December 21st. He actually sounds pretty good singing away while getting handcuffed at 7:00 in, after the Cougar Town actress asks him to stop for a minute so they can work.
6. Elysian Park: 136 production days
7. Venice Beach: 130 production days
8. Will Rogers State Beach in Pacific Palisades: 124 production days
9. Herald Examiner Building: 116 production days
10. LA County and USC Medical Center: 114 production days
While Venice is a picturesque location, most the location managers that I have spoken with say that the west side boardwalk vendors are an absolute nightmare to deal with, making as much noise as possible to disrupt filming in hopes of getting paid off to go away. The vendors always argue that their right to make art (and a living) has been violated by the fully permitted production companies.