From the Venice Neighborhood Council:
The Public Health and Safety Committee will hold a special informational and planning meeting this Friday morning, August 9th at TOMS on Abbot Kinney blvd at 0930am. The intent of the meeting is to receive stakeholder input on expectations and opportunities to improve safety on OFW in light of the Multi-Casualty Traffic Accident of August 3th. If you are unable to attend please consider sending a brief and concise email summarizing your concerns and ideas in addressing the situation.
Please share the information and agenda posted below with your neighbors and share your thoughts.
Sevan D. Gerard, BS, EMT-P, NCEE
Community Officer, VNC Board of Directors
Chair, Public Health and Safety Committee
1. 09:30am – Call to Order & Roll Call
2. 09:35 – Approve Agenda
3. 09:40 – INCIDENT SUMMARY – Information about August 3rd Multi-Casualty Incident on OFW
4. 09:45 – PUBLIC COMMENT – Incident specific knowledge and personal experiences
5. 09:55 – BOARD DISCUSSION
a. Physical Barricades
b. Law enforcement
c. Information Kiosks
d. Drug related crimes
6. 10:20 – HAZARD ASSESSMENT – Stakeholder worksheet
7. 10:30 – DISCUSSION
b. Preparedness c. Response
8. 10:50 – OFW Automated Ballards – James Murez
a. MOTION: The PHS Committee recommends to the VNC to request the City of Los Angeles to install traffic control ballards along OFW to help protect the public safety.
9. 10:55 – Schedule Next Meeting and Adjourn
August 29, 2011
Wish I could be there, but I will be out of town. I hope there will be a few more meetings like this so it gives a number of us opportunity to offer input.
I personally feel that the west side of the boardwalk should be more open. There is no scatter room should some crazy pull out a knife and start swinging it (as has been done before). When the boardwalk is full its claustraphobia plus. People are shoulder to shoulder.
Put the vendors in one area and let the rest of the boardwalk be what it should be….a beach.
May 29, 2013
*gasp*–I actually agree with the Venice Neighborhood Council! I assume the appropriate email address for the Public Health and Safety Committee is the one at this link: http://www.venicenc.org/ai1ec_…..e_id=28048
January 2, 2013
December 17, 2010
I went to the meeting and it turned out they had not publicized the meeting properly, and it would be rescheduled for Tuesday evening so check the VNC website for time and place.
However, it was ok to take public comment that could be incorporated into the Tuesday meeting so the 12 or 15 of us had a discussion that covered barricades, signs and keeping wayward vehicles off the Boardwalk which grew to a global discussion of problems of the Boardwalk and included Venice beyond the Boardwalk.
Topics I remember:
1) having more police in uniform to lend a sense of order and lawfulness and friendliness.
2) recognition that a lot of problems are drug/alcohol driven, especially because of methamphetamine use. Get rid of the drugs.
3) Segways and bicycles on the Boardwalk are dangerous.
4) the hope that the city does not have a knee jerk reaction with barricades that causes problems of entry for emergency vehicles and that would make OFW feel more constricted.
5) eliminate some vending stalls to open the closed corridor that OFW has become. People are jammed together and a feeling of heightened tension has been created. Open spaces would also increase access/emergency exits to the beach.
6) power wash and clean up OFW. Increase trash clean up in Venice.
7) anyone else want to throw anything in? Cecilia Castillo our CD11 Venice Rep told us a couple of times that Bonin is not Rosendahl and Mr. Bonin has ideas to improve OFW/the Park and asked us to give him a chance.
February 17, 2010
GET RID OF WEST SIDE VENDING… Or at least regulate it better and move it off the walking area. No more store displays that go beyond the front property line of the store… No more barkers in front of stores… performers in regulated performance pockets OFF the walkway. Bikes should be walked and Segways… well… what kind of idiot would ride one amongst weekend crowds..?
January 20, 2012
July 8, 2010
Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 32
Newest Members: brad neal_1
Moderators: ModBot: 14, CanalsAdjacent: 0
Administrators: EmilGH: 108, eric: 264, Mick: 282, Brenton: 34, Parimal Rohit: 12, Corina Mun: 5, Yo Venice Staff: 262, Evan Hazlett: 0, TJYoVenice: 4, Jennifer: 43, Gabrielle: 1, Mel: 500