The Office of Councilmember Bill Rosendahl has a great opportunity for college students to learn about politics in Los Angeles, practice their journalism studies, and gain experience co-managing new media content for the 11th Council District.
The office is seeking an intern to support the Communications Department and possibly assist other staff with responsibilities. The councilman and his staff serve nearly 300,000 constituents in a district that spans from Los Angeles International Airport to Pacific Palisades, including most areas west of the 405 freeway to the ocean. The intern will work closely with the Communications Deputy who is responsible for disseminating news and information about the district. The internship provides real experience in the fast paced and rapidly changing world of new media.
A communications intern will:
* shadow and spend time with the Communications Deputy
* get practical experience with new media platforms and outreach techniques
* receive mentoring for professional development
* establish professional contacts
Possible responsibilities include:
* assist with the production of multimedia content
* help execute news conferences and community events
* learn how to build an online community
* co-manage the CD11 Twitter handle
* maintain media lists
* research news and information about the councilman and the district
Ideal candidates must be able to work at least 16 hours per week for an entire school semester/quarter, must be enrolled in college and receive credit for the internship, and be able to commute to downtown Los Angeles. Preference will be given to those who are from the district. Interested candidates must attach their resume to an email and send a link featuring your latest work to Tony Arranaga, Communications Deputy for Councilmember Bill Rosendahl, at firstname.lastname@example.org.